Feature Request: Standalone Instant Feature Extension (IFX)

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

May be hard-coded to point to the tools menu.

Would alleviate the need to create a dummy project template for those IFX' that provide only Guidance and optionally tools (Map [+Tools]).

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM

At this point, the "Instant Feature Builder" doesn't include support for menu items.

I'll add it to the list of desired items.

Just to be clear, it's not impossible just not included.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM
Edited Nov 15, 2010 at 6:22 AM

What I suggested is not a full-blown menu item mechanism but just the insertion of an item into the Tools menu that would launch the map; thus we would have a "standalone map" without instantiating a project. Scenario: I would like to have a table of contents for all my projects (including IFB ones) with some guidance and links that would launch them.

The map then would be like an alternative to the VS start page and instead of developing WPF controls we would use IFB.

Just an Instant Feature Extension with guidance on how to do that would be very helpful; it doesn't have to make into the current feature set.

Thanks for the time you spare for IFB.

ps: Of course we can do it today with FB's InfoPack FX but creating the map is so much easier with IFB!

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Yes, I understand.  The InfoPack template does two things:  (1) it adds the menu item and (2) it has special additions to the VSPackage file which causes the FX to be loaded when VS starts.

I agree it would be great to support this for the IFB and will consider it after we shake all the bugs out of this release :)